5.07.2013

Saturdays o' Fun

A brief rundown of the last 3 Saturdays.

The Scouts had a fundraiser run and pancake breakfast. We rocked the trail with our jogging stroller. Erik was helping Alyssa fjord streams and straddle ponds. They were an awesome team. We caught up to the walkers once we were off the trail and ran with the awesome Kelleys who also took on the stroller trail challenge.

My running has really improved. I retired because I was having horrid cramping near my heels. But then I started again because once you start you just can't stop. I did a little research and found out that someone had a similar cramp and got a shoe that hugged their heel better. So I started tying my shoes tighter, and voila! Magic. No more pain.

Two Saturdays ago I ran the farthest and longest I have ever run. I ran 1 hour and 4.1 miles. One Saturday ago, sans stroller I ran 1 hour and 4.5 miles. My training program? Heart training. I'm going to write a book someday. It is revolutionary. I am starting my 4th week of exercising five days a week alternating between running and biking but keeping my heart rate in zone 3...or maybe below zone 4.5 depending on my mood. [I get kind of angry when my watch is beeping at me.] I have improved immensely. The Lord looketh on the heart...it's true even when it comes to physical fitness.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and other religious groups around the Delaware and PA area had a day of serving in the park. We went to Lum's pond and raked the forest and picked up garbage and pulled staples out of picnic tables. Alyssa and I made sure the play ground was fun and safe. It was a hard job (cough cough), but we enjoyed serving.




After serving in the park we headed over to Ag Day at the University of Delaware. We ate delicious bbq sandwiches and kettle corn. We saw cows and sheep and even the UD blue hen. Alyssa got a green balloon and enjoyed eating chips and popcorn.


I asked Alyssa to show me her chips. So she opened her mouth and showed them to me. Not quite what I had in mind, but hilarious nonetheless.






No comments: