8.23.2012

My Friend Beca

Once upon a time I had to move to North Carolina. Even though I have moved a lot in the last 2 years, it was kind of scary. I was leaving my friends in Delaware and I hoped I could make a lot of new friends, but I still wasn't sure.

When I got to North Carolina there were lots of people to welcome us! The Swifts and Drakes came by the first night and made sure we had dinner and other necessities. Jeff drove us to the tow yard when our car was taken by Mr. Tow Truck Driver our FIRST NIGHT in Raleigh. {I have since observed the tow signs but they are very small and unofficial looking.}

At the park that week I met Robin and her kids and Linda and her little ones and some other people too, though I can't remember them all.

Then I started going on walks and Linda joined me. Pretty soon we couldn't always go on walks but we met at the playground almost everyday. Linda has a daughter named Beca and Beca became my friend.

Beca has lots of energy. Every time she sees me coming she yells "EMILY!" I usually yell back, "BECA!" She likes to show me how she can run. She is very good at swimming. She likes to swing and make pizzas on the tennis court. Beca also loves popsicles so she started coming to my house to eat them with me.

Alyssa also loves Beca. She has started yelling out "BECA" when I do and she gives Beca lots of hugs and follows her everywhere. I think it is safe to say that Alyssa idolizes, adores, loves, emulates Beca.

Today there was a knock at my door. I expected it to be Erik, home from work. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the door and saw my friend Beca. She was standing there with her purple lunch box. She said, "I brought a cookie for you!" She then unzipped her lunch box and pulled out a Chips Ahoy! One cookie, just for me, given graciously by my friend Beca.

At that moment I knew I was sad to be leaving North Carolina. I know there will be lots of people to welcome me back to Delaware but there will be one little face missing in my everyday life and that will be my friend Beca.

{Alyssa and Beca enjoying a popsicle}

1 comment:

Linda Stone said...

I read it to Beca and she said to me: "Mommy, I love Emily!" We will miss you guys!! Thanks for everything!