8.21.2015

Paradoxical Glory

The weather has been close to glorious the last few days. The sky has broken and rain has made an appearance more than once this week. Despite the relatively cool weather (it's still hot), Alyssa used her powers of persuasion to convince me to inflate the pool this morning. Such a desire stems from the discovery of a swimsuit hanging in my closet that I bought for next year. She just had to try it out!









I hope when you look at these pictures you see a happy little girl, enjoying life and the experiences it provides in the moments they happen. I hope you see the beauty of the trees, though fear-inducing- as they shade our sanctuary backyard. I hope you can feel the wonder of being outside, secluded, without anything but water and laughter and love in your heart.

We made it through our first two weeks of school. Yet my desire to have Alyssa home, learning at her pace and with her interests has blossomed! Alyssa enjoys preschool thoroughly. I, too, enjoy the few hours I have each week to do some things for myself. But I also feel so deeply that there is so much to learn and experience that can't be done within the walls of school. I want my children to live their childhood free from 9 week testing and days void of recess. I want them to be outside, exploring. I want them to stand by me in the kitchen, creating. I want them to build nests and be birds or cats or dogs, pretending. I want them to see the beauty in life while life is beautiful. 

I'm glad she has three days a week to do her thing. But I'm even more grateful that she's home four days a week and we can have days like today.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was poetic! You're a great writer! Miss you guys!