1.24.2015

Playing Outside

This week was heavenly. It makes super hot summers and other undesirable things about living in Mississippi seem not that big of a deal. The temperatures crept up into the 60s more than one day and "the sun is shining, the tank is clean! *gasp*..."

Alyssa loves to play outside (and admittedly I do too), so play outside we did. We ran around in circles, drew with chalk, set up the tent, played with New Baby, painted the house (with water), endured a couple of rounds of nativity and basked in the warm sun!

I also chased Alyssa around with the camera, until in my minds eye I saw me tripping and smashing it to sad pieces. So then I stopped. But before I stopped I snapped some pictures. 



Do you like the belt, mom?

I have a confession. I have been a little involved in my own projects, comparisons, and freakish things (not too freakish, just, ya know, those things like a clean house that can CONSUME you?) Looking at these pictures reminds me that the days playing outside and running and the games played are really quite awesome. When I felt frustrated a couple of times this week I reminded myself that I chose to be a mother. No one forced me or is forcing me. I wanted to be home with my wee child. I want to see her grow and learn. Sometimes it seems thankless and it is often immeasurable.  If my focus shifts from her to the measurable progress of a tidy house, blogs updated, beds made, laundry done, curtains sewn, house bought, truck selected, then I have missed what truly being a mother is about. 

In summary (Lloyd analysis - may he rest in peace) even though I can't measure my success with my child, being with her and even being a little bit childlike will make me infinitely more happy than all that other stuff.

So now I think I will go play outside. 


No comments: