6.03.2021

Graduation Station








Erik graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with his PhD in Civil Engineering and more specifically in fire science and lithium ion battery failure and safety. 

We started this journey over four years ago when Erik decided he wanted to get a PhD. I still remember conversations in bed about what this would mean for us, where we would go and what we would do. We left our life in Vicksburg, MS, saying good bye to wonderful friends and a good life there. We left our home on Redbud Drive, our chickens, our carport swings, our ward, the library, a good and reliable job, and so much more to enter back into student life. 

It was a bit of a step into the dark as we welcomed Joel, our third child, moved to Texas and started a new life. Despite starting so many things, it was not a journey of fear. It was a journey of faith. This was made very clear from the beginning as Erik lined up well with his advisor, DK Ezekoye, we miraculously got into student housing, and Erik got an instructor position at BYU-Idaho. The Lord provided for us very early on and continued to be with us throughout the journey.

The last four years in Austin, living the student life, have been among my favorite years for our family. We made so many good friends at Brackenridge Apartments. Alyssa had a couple of really good years at Mathews Elementary school. We endured and thrived during the COVID-19 pandemic. We welcomed Kent and Evan into our family. We learned to live together and enjoy one another in our small apartment. What really matters was etched into our hearts as the best of experiences has the power to do. 

I am a bit saddened by the end of this leg of our journey. My heart feels full and I hope to remember the beauty and growth that accompanied these years. I am incredibly proud of Erik. He has worked hard and accomplished much. I am thankful that we did this journey together. I am thankful for all he does for me and for the love he has for me and our kids. We are partners in all we do. I am happy I could support him in this endeavor and that he has recognized and expressed gratitude for that support.

Four more years down in the books; here's to another great four!

Hook 'em horns!



 

No comments: